Friday, July 15, 2011

What should we do while waiting in lines

I am sure that you are seeing this picture wondering why this picture is associated with the blog. Well it is simple but there is a little story that I need to tell so that you will understand.

June 2007. We had missed out on getting fastpasses to ride Soarin. this is one of my favorite rides and I didn't want to miss it. So we went in the stand by line and just decided to tough it out. And when I say tough it out, the wait time for standby was 120 minutes. You read that correctly. Over 2 hours to wait. The interactive line games had just been put in, but it was a long wait until we even got to those. So my niece decided that she was going to play a little game. We were going to see how many people would give her a high five as they walked by in the fastpass line. Lots of people ignored her but there were a ton that played along. And my whole party made a fun game out of it. We all counted and cheered as people would do it. The picture is of the girl that was the 100th person to do it. We made a big deal out of it and asked the girl to take her picture with us. It was a very memorable moment of our trip. And every time we see this picture we always talk about it. It was a ton of fun.

Sorry for the long story but it really helped the time go by very quickly. So I will now talk about the things that you can do to help the time go quickly while waiting in line. First I would like to say if at all possible get the fastpass. That will really maximize your touring. But if you get caught in line here a few things that you can do.

  • Buy the portable Disney 20 questions - this helped me through a lot of lines.
  • Bring the Hidden Mickey's guide book and hunt for hidden Mickeys
  • Lou Mongello's Walt Disney World Trivia book.
  • Look around the queue line- imagineers like to entertain all the time and they are always adding little things to see. And make sure while waiting for Jungle Cruise you listen to the radio announcements.
  • Go through pictures on your camera.
  • When I tour the park by myself I like to listen to my iPod (I would only do that if I was alone)
Disney has also tried to help the lines by adding more interactive queues. And they have succeeded. The one for the Pooh ride is a lot of fun. I bet you that most kids would have more fun playing in the queue than they would riding the ride. Space Mountain and the Haunted Mansion are the newest additions to this field.

These are just a few ways. But I would also use this time to just sit back and talk to your family or the people you are traveling with. I have had more fun just talking to the people that I am with. Its a great way to create those memories that Walt Disney World creates for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment